Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tagging & Folksonomy

Del.icio.us
I like the way both Sutherland and Cleveland have used Del.icio.us for their tags. We sustain links pages for HSC, local and other general reference websites on our site. I think using Del.icio.us would appeal to those who already social bookmark and would also make it easier to update and reduce the need to train staff in editing webpages.
A tag cloud is a much preferable style of view to see the tags to me. You can easily see the most popular/used and is a positive move away from old school lists.

Technorati
It is great to see that you can broaden or narrow your search by using a keyword or tag search. The principles of library information retrieval remain! The results were more precise when using "bookmobiles" as a tag search, and conversely nswpln as a keyword search provided more posts. It's great to see all the images of libraries that have been added to flickr as part of learning 2.0

Librarything
What a wonderful thing librarything is. I have added a couple of books and put the widget on the right hand panel as you should see. In terms of the quality or cohesiveness of the tagging, perhaps this works for the most part, but I still see the need for some kind of uniformity. Forgive me I am a Librarian. I do like the social aspect though as it is interesting to see what other read and tag who have the same titles as you in their library.
I already use a similar tool on my social networking page, so probably wont be able to sustain 2, so will leave librarything for this exercise.

No comments: